I must admit when I read that this weeks Sew Weekly challenge was to make something from a pair of pillowcases my first impression was ‘how naff’, but then looking at all of the other clever contributor outcomes I thought okay ‘it is possible’.
There was no way I was going to chop up my Orla Kiely’s and my linen closet needs a serious update, besides if I’m going to spend my valuable time sewing dresses out of pillowcases I was going to look for something I would wear again and again.
…enter Target and the fabulous discount table.
Yep I found this fantastic set of pillowcases in the bargain bin at Target woo hoo. The tree print appears on the front of the cases and the crisp squares on the back. I love the silhouette don’t you? I proceeded to remove the fronts from the backs flipping and joining the tree print to resemble a reflection. Joining the backs together adding a pleat in the centre to remove the bulk and placing matt black buttons so the back didn’t look too boring. I cut into the cases to add a bit of body to the over all squareness then added thick elastic along the join in the middle which happened to be the perfect spot for my waist. The shoulders hung like a sack with no shape what so ever so I folded pleats into them; much better. I had just enough material left to place side pockets in. I’m telling you I’m very pleased with this whole pillowcase thingy I’m certainly on the lookout for more pillowcases to make dresses from.
So in order to see if this was a do-able outfit we headed off on a big bike ride …
Oh yes she’s a keeper but I’m putting my cape back on because my god it’s chilly. Brrrr.
Oh! and lets not forget the finer details like a label he he.