The kids wanted nothing from me today n o t h i n g, they were busy doing their thing so I took the opportunity to do my thing. I’ve been learning so. much. stuff about bra-making, I’m reading all the comments, posts and suggestions over on Amy’s blog and the Flickr Bra-Making Group and have been making alterations to my bra pattern for a better fit.
I have sliced and diced my paper pattern as suggested via Amy’s Slash your bra post- tweaking certain elements and what not, I’ve extended the sides of each of the bra cups and have heightened the back band a tad for more side-boob support. I’ve learnt that my very bad habit of just glancing over instructions and then using my intuition to get me to the finish line has not worked in my favour here, I had missed a very important step and that was interfacing the cradle, that cradle needs to be stable. Stable Cradle, makes sense really so, I then had to go back and slice up my back band and add more room to the center as well as modify the edge of the cradle where the back band attaches slicing some of the angle off the tops.
I transfered these changes to my paper pattern then made cardboard pieces from those because I feel like I may of nailed the fit, may of. So, dear reader this is my latest make, it looks so much more interesting than the bra I’m making for the sewalong. Haha!
I thought I’d play around with lace for this set , I feel like my bra-makings are getting better and better. I’m super excited about this set it feels fantastic on and looks so expensive, the sewalong and extra researching is really paying off. I changed my underwire size too and that’s even made an improvement from my previous makes—which I’ve been living in BTW, I even bought a lingerie bag to wash them in. I’m wearing handmade all over darling it’s pretty awesome.
The bra is lined in a very soft white stretch tulle, the casing for the underwire is white and the picot is black. I serged a dainty rolled hem across the cup seams on the inside, I really want to make this look neater, I read that I can use seam tape to hide it? I wished I bought some, my eye keeps looking at it wishing it looked nicer. I love the knickers (Ohh LuLu Pattern) I danced around with different ideas for the placement of the lace, I really wanted the scallop to show along the the tops of the leg openings so it looked consistent with the scallop along to top cups and along the bottom of the bra.
For these photo’s I’ve folded the back black piece of the knickers under the front so you can see the
scolloped lace a little better. The matching bows are velvet ribbon that wont fray and the buttons are from my jar of vintage buttons. The crotch of the knickers are lined in black jersey and the bra has boning added to the sides for extra support.
I’m loving this combo, black lace on champagne satin. My knicker draw is looking pretty damn fancy.
EDIT: Scallop not scollop, oh dear, hope you had a good laugh at that one.
Happy Happy Sewing.